Logging operations for pulpwood begin on the shores around Red Indian Lake
There is one logging division: Millertown
Large outside contractors such as Newfoundland Pine and Pulp also supply the mill from timber lands near Badger.
Methods are much the same as those used for earlier sawmill operations
In 1910-11 Badger logging division is formed out of timber lands acquired from A.E Reed, Newfoundland Pine and Pulp etc.
In 1913 the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company has 65 logging camps in two logging divisions.
World War One has an impact in finding workers. Many woods staff serve with the Newfoundland Forestry Contingent in Scotland
By 1924 two additional logging divisions are formed from newly acquired timber lands. These are Bishop’s Falls and Terra Nova Woods Divisions.
The introduction of the one man metal famed bucksaw, piecework and the Caterpillar tractor set the pattern for the next 20+ years.
A tramway is built to access camps in the Lake Ambrose area of Millertown.
Falling newsprint prices due to the Great Depression have an impact on wages in the woods.
Camp conditions deteriorate, numbers of inexperienced men turn to work in the woods and find they are not up to the task.
Conditions and poor wages lead to the formation of loggers unions, most notably the Newfoundland Lumbermen’s Association.
1934-5 sees the first mass introduction of Caterpillar tractors to many camps for winter hauling.
Trucks are used more and more to transport men and supplies.
Increasing number of tractors and trucks being used in the woods. Trucks first used for hauling is summer.
Shortages in labor are severe during the Second World War. Loggers are in short supply due to enlistments in the services and better paying jobs at military bases.
After the end of the war levels of woods and mill employment hit record highs.
Chainsaw first appears in the woods around 1954 and is rapidly adopted by most loggers.
More and more woods roads are built.
IWA Strike in 1959 over wages and conditions.
First modular prefabricated camps.
Still dozens of camps in operation.
Operations in Terra Nova Division are curtailed.
In 1965 four woods divisions are merged into two.
In 1965 the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company becomes Price (NFLD).
company shifts to having larger and fewer camps. Due to road improvements busing and commuting is now possible.
Woods labor force sees drastic decrease. Only a fraction of the number of men working in the woods for Price in 1969 and there were in 1960.
Continued mechanization. First harvesters are tried in the woods. Skidders predominate operations.
Price is merged with Abitibi and becomes Abitibi-Price.
Abitibi-Price buys doomed linerboard mill at Stephenville.
Wood being cut in Central area for both Grand Falls and Stephenville.
Increasing environmental concerns with regards to river driving and other operations.
Reforestation and silvaculture programs replant many areas.
Only a handful of camps still in operation.
The end of the river drive.
Intensive haul road building program.
The last logging camp: Black Duck, opens in 1998.
By 2003 there are only 313 harvesting employees working to supply the Grand Falls Mill and only 35 of them are chainsaw operators.
Logging becomes almost totally mechanized.
Grand Falls Mill closes in March 2009.